What You Should Do After a Boat Accident in Texas
Boating season is here, and as the country begins to reopen, more and more people are taking their boats out on the water. Though boating can be fun, relaxing, and enjoyable, it is important to always ensure you follow the necessary safety measures before setting out. If you are someone who has been injured in a boating accident, you most likely now require financial compensation to help you heal. Our Texas personal injury attorney can help. Please continue reading to learn more:
What causes boat accidents?
Boat accidents can be caused by several different factors, though in most cases, they all prove to be some form of negligence. Some of the most common causes of boat accidents include operating while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, boater inexperience, failure to equip the boat and passengers with the necessary safety equipment, boating while drowsy or fatigued, and more. If you were injured in a boating accident for any of the aforementioned reasons, there is a very good chance you will qualify for compensation.
What should I do after being injured in a boat accident?
After a boat accident, as long as you are physically capable, you should ensure you do the following to maximize your chances of winning financial compensation:
- Call 911. Not only will this send medical services your way, but it will also send police to the scene, who will document the facts of the incident.
- While awaiting their arrival, ensure you ask anyone who witnessed the accident for their contact information, such as their name and phone number so they may corroborate your claim at a later date.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, any damage to the boat, and any injuries you have sustained.
- Once you are treated at a hospital, ensure you ask your doctor for any and all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable Texas personal injury attorney who can gather and present all additional evidence on your behalf in an effort to win you the financial compensation you deserve and need.
Ensure you file your claim within the state’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations in Texas for personal injury claims is two years, giving you two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the party responsible.
Contact our experienced Texas firm
If you have been injured in an accident at the hands of a negligent party, you need a knowledgeable, skilled attorney on your side. At The Law Offices of Steve Brannan, we understand how crucial this point in your life is. Fortunately, our firm has the tools needed to win the compensation you deserve. Contact our firm today. We are here to help.